Boca Raton Car Accident FAQ

If you or someone you love has suffered a car accident in Boca Raton, Florida, you may be entitled to compensation. Experiencing property damage or injury due to the carelessness of another person can be an incredibly frustrating and overwhelming experience, but you don’t have to handle it all by yourself.

Dyson Law, PLLC is home to some of South Florida’s most effective, empathetic, and efficient attorneys in the state. If you have questions about what to do following your Boca Raton car accident, Dyson Law, PLLC offers free consultations as well as answers to some of our most commonly-asked questions.

How long do I have to file an accident claim?

In Florida, the statute of limitations is four years. You have four years from the date of the accident to file your claim. If you don’t act within these time limits, your case will be dismissed, leaving you without options to get the compensation you’re due. 

Ideally, you will be able to file a claim as soon as possible following your accident. The sooner you file your claim, the sooner your issue can be resolved. However, that is not always feasible. Sometimes, you do not realize the extent of your physical, emotional, financial, or property damage until weeks, months, or even years after your accident.

What should I do immediately following my car accident?

The first thing you should do following your accident is to seek medical attention. Your health is a top priority. Seeing a doctor directly after the incident will ensure that you do not return to your normal daily activities with a hidden injury. It also provides a valuable record for your claim.

If you are feeling physically able to take photos at the scene, it would be wise to do so. Collect the contact information of the other driver and any bystanders who may be able to provide a witness’s account of the accident.

How does fault work in Florida?

Florida is a no-fault state. This means that, regardless of who caused the accident, Florida drivers must use their own state-mandated insurance to cover their medical expenses and any other damages related to their accident. 

This insurance is called personal injury protection (PIP) and covers you up to a certain amount. That amount is offered from your insurance company without needing to prove you weren’t at fault. If your claim is more costly, you may have grounds to sue the at-fault party. Likewise, you may need help if your insurance company fails to pay a fair price.

Are there exceptions to Florida’s no-fault law?

Yes, there are some exceptions to Florida’s no-fault law. If one of the drivers involved suffered accidents that meet the threshold of a “severe injury” set by Florida law, they may pursue a lawsuit. This threshold includes permanent injury, disfigurement, a death, or more than $10,000 in expenses. 

If one of the drivers has broken the law by being uninsured, the insured victim will have to choose between relying on their insurance company’s help or suing the uninsured driver.

What damages can I claim from my car accident?

Following your car accident, there are two primary types of damages you can pursue: economic, and non-economic.

Economic damages are anything that has a direct price tag attached. If it comes with a receipt, invoice, or any other form of documentation, it is likely economic damage.

  • Medical expenses
  • Lost wages
  • Lost future income
  • Property damage

Non-economic damages are harder to calculate and require the expertise of a car accident attorney to properly estimate. Non-economic damages are more conceptual, and include things like:

  • Pain and suffering
  • Emotional distress
  • Loss of consortium (which is the legal term for strained relationships due to the physical, emotional, and financial consequences of your car accident)
  • Loss of enjoyment of life

What are punitive damages?

Depending on the circumstance, if the other driver behaved extremely negligently, or intentionally caused the accident, you may choose to pursue punitive damages. Punitive damages are meant to punish the perpetrator, not just to compensate you for your losses. These are harder to come by but have precedence in the court. Speak to your attorney if you may want to pursue punitive damages.

Connect with a Car Accident Attorney in Boca Raton

If you are feeling unsure of the future, don’t wait to seek help. A Dyson Law, PLLC attorney is available to speak with you to discuss your case and help clear the path forward. 

Whenever you’re ready to find the right legal counsel for you, you can call us at 561-498-9979 or visit our website to book a free consultation.

Contact Us Ready to get your damages covered with an Orange County personal injury lawyer? Call 1-844-404-2400 or fill out the following online contact form.
OR CALL NOW (561) 498-9979
Skip to content